I’ve been on both sides of the table, but there are seven hard questions I’d ask my deal lead at a firm from which I’m considering taking venture investment.
There are certainly more questions to ask, but the responses to the following questions will give you a good sense of who you’re dealing with.
Working with a VC is not unlike marriage: it is a relationship that contemplates long-term commitment, is sure to involve myriad struggles and uncertainty and is very hard and painful to exit.
So those questions that are seemingly uncool or uncomfortable to as your potential VC? ASK THEM ANYWAY.
1. Is this a core investment or something in which you have interest but would walk away from if things get difficult?
2. Does this investment fit with your firm’s thesis or primarily your own world view? If you are expending significant relationship capital to get this done, how will this impact us if things get challenging?
3. On how many boards do you sit? Do you really have enough time to impact the outcome of this investment through your involvement and engagement?
- 7 Essential Questions To Ask Yourself Before The Year Ends
- 10 Burning Questions About Why Some Entrepreneurs Fail And Others Succeed
- 9 Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Decide To Start Your Own Business